kernel panic :No init found.try passing INIT=option to kernel

Steve Crosby fost at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 21 04:23:24 PST 2005

sunils at compucomtech.co.in wrote in
news:32796.203.129.200.131.1108968853.squirrel at mail.compucomtech.co.in:

> hello,
> i am new bie to linux ,i made LFS-5.1 successfully.now i want to make
> LIVE CD of lfs , so in that direction i follow algorithm and try to
> make cd but when it boot from CD ram0 is mounted as root file system
> but after it shows message :  kernel panic : No init found .try
> passing INIT=option to kernel and refuses to procede further.
> I searched in FAQ's but not able to find hint.
> My kernel is comipled with INITAL Ram disk support also, and int grub
> menu.lst
> my enteries are
> kernel --no-mem-option /boot/kernelimage root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc
> initrd /boot/initrd.gz
> plz suggest me where i go wrong or  what to do in order to overcome
> the problem.
> Thanx in advance.
> Regards
> Narendra

In addition to Initial RAM Disk support, you need to ensure you have

CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM_COUNT=2
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM_SIZE=16384

where:
    	RAM_COUNT is *at least* 2 (ram0 and ram1)
    	RAM_SIZE is sufficient to fit your uncompressed initrd image

There are several hints available at http://hints.linuxfromscratch.org that
deal with creating a "live cd" image from LFS - look to them for further
assistance.

-- -
Steve Crosby