File System Issues during bootup

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Feb 20 14:10:39 PST 2005

On February 20, 2005 02:48 pm, Randy McMurchy wrote:
> details. Search the archives for more info.

There is a thread from last december:
http://linuxfromscratch.org/pipermail/lfs-support/2004-December/025288.html

Some snippets from the thread:

<from Jeremy Utley>
This was discussed recently on list.  FC3 uses some custom stuff in
their ext2utils that isn't supported in the regular tarball, which
causes the error.

<from Steve Crosby>
from your HOST system, do a
 tune2fs -l /dev/<whateveryourLFSrootparitionis> grep features

This will list the filesystem features that your new ext3 partition has
been created with. It's likely that FC3 has some extensions of e2fsprogs
that are not in the base distribution, and therefore not supported from
within LFS.

you can use tune2fs to remove features not found in LFS - use the man pages
for mke2fs on LFS and on your host to see the differences in available
features.

I don't know which features FC3 has added so I can't tell you what to remove
unfortuantely. I don't have an ext2 partition handy here either to give you
the output of so you could compare it against yours.

If nobody else here can provide their tune2fs output of an LFS partition that
was formatted in a standard way I'll create a partition later today.

--
Gerard Beekmans