make modules_install gives errors

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Feb 20 13:27:59 PST 2005

On February 20, 2005 02:19 pm, Phoe6 wrote:
> I remember having installed  6.49. Module-Init-Tools-3.0 packages.

Which LFS version are you following by the way?

One of the configure options you pass to module-init-tools is:
 --prefix=""

Did you skip this one, or maybe as a force of habit typed it out as
"prefix=/usr?"

If so, the files ended up in /usr/sbin rather than /sbin. See if the following
files exist in /usr/sbin now:

 insmod modprobe rmmod depmod modinfo insmod.static

You should be able to move those to /sbin and not reinstall the whole package.
I haven't tested it, but I don't see a reason why that wouldn't work. If you
want to play it safe, remove the above files from /usr/sbin and reinstall
module-init-tools using the book's instructions. It doesn't take very long to
install the package.

> Thanks Gerard for your constant support, its highly motivating!

No problem. Glad to be able to help :)

--
Gerard Beekmans