Can't find /tools/bin/bash for initial chroot, and /tools/bin/bash is bad too.

Steven Pasternak stevenp500 at bellsouth.net
Sat Feb 19 20:26:31 PST 2005

Hi. I use LFS 6.0 with some slightly newer packages and have run into a few
problems. I just finished the test suite and when I go to use the chroot
thing (chapter 6) I get this:
[root at localhost steven]# chroot "$LFS" /tools/bin/env -i \
>     HOME=/root TERM="$TERM" PS1='\u:\w\$ ' \
>     PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/tools/bin \
>     /tools/bin/bash --login +h
/tools/bin/env: /tools/bin/bash: No such file or directory
[root at localhost steven]#

I check and /tools/bin/bash is there, if /mnt/lfs is the root or if the
current root is being concidered the root for this. But that is not
all, /tools/bin/bash is bad too. If I open a shell with it, I can type
commands that are part of bash (if, case, etc.) and they work, but other
commands that are seperate files (ls, cp, gcc, etc.) do what they are
supposed to, but never return to the prompt. It looks like this:
[root at localhost steven]# /tools/bin/bash
[root at localhost steven]# ls
bin/                       gstreamer-plugins-0.8.4-2mdk.src.rpm  src@
cabextract-0.6-1.i386.rpm  ifplugd-0.25-1mdk.i586.rpm            tmp/
dead.letter                initscripts-7.61.1-17mdk.i586.rpm
TransGaming_Drive@
Desktop/                   kernel-2.6.8.1.12mdk-1-1mdk.src.rpm   winetools/
Documents/                 Mail/
XFree86-compat-libs-4.1.0-4mdk.i586.rpm
fetchmsttfonts.sh*         mw-dictionary.src
fetchmsttfonts.sh~*        sound-scripts-0.07-1mdk.noarch.rpm

but the prompt never returns, I have tried to rebuild it, re-downloaded the
source, and even tried bash 2.05b with no luck. I upgraded to glibc 2.3.4
(and the glibc-linuxthreads tarball that was next to it) and kernel 2.6.9
(linux-libc-headers-2.6.9.1 also), but haven't had a problem with that. If I
use the /bin/bash executable with my host distro (mandrake 10.0) it works
(not the chroot part, it is still blind, though). This is my first LFS and I
am stumped. Please Help!
-Steven