gettext error?

Steve Crosby fost at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 18 15:03:17 PST 2005

Matthew Burgess <matthew at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote in
news:cv5eo6$fst$2 at belgarath.linuxfromscratch.org:

> Steve Crosby wrote:
>> use --without-csharp, instead of --disable-csharp
>
> Tom, could you let me know if this works please?  According to
> gettext's configure script (lines 1911-1915 and 2038-2042)
> --disable-csharp should work fine.
>
> Regards,
>
> Matt.

actually, I was just regurgitating previous statements I've seen - it
*is* --disable-csharp (which is the default option btw)

looking at configure, it appears at first glance there may be a bug in
gettext-runtime/configure - see below. (not looked at other configure
scripts)

Here, CSHARP_CHOICE is set to "any"

===========================
if test "${enable_csharp+set}" = set; then
  enableval="$enable_csharp"
  CSHARP_CHOICE="$enableval"
else
  CSHARP_CHOICE=any
fi;
===========================

Here, a check is made if CSHARP_CHOICE is set to "no"

===========================
        for impl in "$CSHARP_CHOICE" pnet mono sscli no; do
    case "$impl" in

<snip>

      no)
        HAVE_CSHARPCOMP=
        ac_result="no"
        break
        ;;
    esac
  done
  echo "$as_me:$LINENO: result: $ac_result" >&5
echo "${ECHO_T}$ac_result" >&6
===========================

And here, is where the decision to build CHSARP is decided, and where a
problem will exist if you have a C# compiler installed on your host - the
wrong decision will be made, since the CSHARP_CHOICE should have been set
to "no", not "any"

===========================
if test -n "$HAVE_CSHARPCOMP" && test "$CSHARP_CHOICE" != no; then
  BUILDCSHARP=yes
else
  BUILDCSHARP=no
fi

It would appear at first glance therefore, that the initial set of
CSHARP_CHOICE to "any" is buggy. Can't test at the moment as build is in
progress, but specifying --enable-csharp=no should work okay, and be
fairly trivial to test.

-- -
Steve Crosby