Kernel panic problem and unable to chroot

Phoe6 orsenthil at gmail.com
Fri Feb 18 08:24:58 PST 2005

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 08:59:46 -0700, Gerard Beekmans
<gerard at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
> On February 15, 2005 04:11 pm, Phoe6 wrote:
> > Thanks a lot for your reply Gerard. I did as you suggested and and
> > found that /mnt/lfs/usr/bin/env file does not exists :(
>
> Very odd. Okay, if it's missing for some reason, let's get it back.
>
> Enter chroot as follows: chroot /mnt/lfs

chroot:cannot run command '/bin/bash' : No such file or directory.

oops, I think I am gone. I have to start from scratch again.
The following are my assumptions. I used the same swap file as my host
system and when I created the LFS partition and formatted it using
mke2fs some warning at come and to use tune2fs. Compilation went fine
and when I had to reboot the system, File system cried due to
something. and I had to use e2fsck  : e2fsck -b 32768 /mnt/hda4
After this while booting up, resolved the file system error, but gave
the kernel panic error which I started this thread with.

I think, I have no options but to start from scratch again.

> > One more query I have is, if I create a console file for LFS, from the
> > root of FC3 hostsystem has this any chance of solving the problem? (
> > lemme try this as well)
>
> /dev/console won't fix your kernel in being able to mount the partition.

I asked this for, the warning I got during Bootup.

Freeing unused Kernel Memory: 184K Freed
Warning: Unable to open an Intial Console
Kernel Panic: No Init found. Try Passing init= option to the kernel

As I guess, I have start again, I shall be careful with creating
console file. I missed creating in the first time.

Thanks a lot so far!!
Senthil

--
The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of. -- Blaise Pascal