How to unset any environment variables during make LFS

shudde dev at null.org
Thu Feb 17 21:15:35 PST 2005

Bluesheet wrote:
> Dear all,
> I am a newbie of LFS, I following the install guide for building LFS, but I
> have a question about some chapter that said "Before starting to build
> Binutils, remember to unset any environment variables that override the
> default optimization flags". I want to know how to unset all the environment
> variables? Is something like that ...
>
> unset CC CXX CPP LD_LIBRARY_PATH LD_PRELOAD
>
> If I didn't unset the environment variable, what will happen when during
> making LFS?
>
> Thanks all.
>
> Regards.

Unless you specifically set the CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS variables (which you
wouldn't have unless you were doing compiler optimizations) you
shouldn't need to unset any environment variables on a standard system.

If you did, you've got the right usage anyway:

unset CFLAGS CXXFLAGS

The LD stuff has nothing to do with optimization flags, neither does CC,
CXX or CPP as far as I'm aware.