GCC Problems Installing LFS 5.1.1 on Sparc Ultra-5

Mike Liford michael.liford at lmco.com
Thu Feb 17 08:04:49 PST 2005

I'm trying to install LFS 5.1.1 on an Sun Ultra-5 using Aurora 1.0 as
the host distribution. Aurora 1.0 is just installed and clean. My only
deviation from the book is that I'm using the same partition following
the additional instructions for a side-by-side installation.

CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS are unset and I'm using the default settings. The
host is defaulting to sparc64-unknown-linux-gnu. I'm not concerned about
whether the apps are 32-bit or 64-bit. I just want them to work.

I didn't get very far with problems starting in the Chapter 5
GCC-Core-3.3.3 Pass1 installation.

Binutils-2.14 Pass 1 compiled and linked without a problem.

GCC-Core-3.3.3 Pass 1 configure script output a message about this
configuration not being supported as shown in the attached file
configure.output. Don't understand and don't know if this is important.
The rest of the configuration seemed to go fine. Compilation ended in an
error as shown in the attached file gcc-core-3.3.3.error. Notice the
multiple "mv: cannot stat" output lines about the middle of the file.

Attempted to install the GCC-3.3.3 tarball with the Pass 1 instructions
and with the same result as the above paragraph.

Attempted to install the GCC-2.95.3 tarball with the Pass 1
instructions. The resulting error is shown in the attached file
gcc-2.95.3.error. Notice the architecture warnings and the many
undefined references.

Attempted to install the GCC-2.95.3 tarball using the instructions in
Chapter 6 for this compiler version. The only change was that I
installed into /tools (i.e., --prefix=/tools). Same results as the above
paragraph.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Mike