Kernel panic problem and unable to chroot

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Feb 17 07:59:46 PST 2005

On February 15, 2005 04:11 pm, Phoe6 wrote:
> Thanks a lot for your reply Gerard. I did as you suggested and and
> found that /mnt/lfs/usr/bin/env file does not exists :(

Very odd. Okay, if it's missing for some reason, let's get it back.

Enter chroot as follows: chroot /mnt/lfs

this will start /bin/bash. Your old pre-chroot environment won't be entirely
clear but that's not a big deal right now. Reinstall the coreutils package
using the same instructions you found in Chapter 6 of the LFS book.

> One more query I have is, if I create a console file for LFS, from the
> root of FC3 hostsystem has this any chance of solving the problem? (
> lemme try this as well)

/dev/console won't fix your kernel in being able to mount the partition.

Have a look at your kernel configuration and make sure you have selected the
right drivers for your hardware. In this case make sure you have the proper
IDE drivers built into the kernel.

--
Gerard Beekmans