Installation of Binutils

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Feb 14 14:37:26 PST 2005

On February 14, 2005 03:00 pm, John Wildberger wrote:
> After completion of the 'configure' and 'make' operation you do the ' make
> install' . This will copy the programs and any support files to the
> 'installation directory'. In general, you should be 'root' to perform the
> 'make install'. In the case of LFS it seems to work ok as user 'lfs'. (??).

make install generally installs to directories like /usr/bin
or /usr/local/bin. These directories are typically owned by the user "root"
and group "root" and can therefore only be written to by the user root.
Hence, "make install" is run as user root in most cases.

In LFS chapter 5's case, we pass --prefix=/tools to the configure
script. /tools is a symlink to /mnt/lfs and that directory is owned by user
"lfs." So running "make install" as user "lfs" is preferable. It can write
to /tools but not to /usr. If you forgot the prefix option, you don't
accidentally overwrite host system files that a root "make install" would do
-- without any warning.

> Now you can continue with your good effort to flame me again. I might then

If everybody just stopped flaming in general, the world would be better off.

--
Gerard Beekmans