Installation of Binutils

John Wildberger wildberger at cogeco.ca
Mon Feb 14 14:00:20 PST 2005

A good flame ware brings the best out of people :-)
Here is a short summary of what directories are used during the build process
of the BinUtils:
First there is the directory into which you download the tarred file
(xx.tar.bz2) . Call this the 'download directory'.
The unpacking generates a subdirectory that will contain the 'configure' file.
This directory is now to be called the 'source directory'.
To avoid cluttering up this directory it is recommended to create a separate
empty directory called 'binutils-build'. Fundamentally this directory could
be under any other directory you might choose. But for efficient use of path
references it is recommended to create it as a subdirectory of the 'download'
directory.
The 'bin-util-build' directory is more generally called  the 'object
directory'. In order to use a object directory that is different from the
source directory you must have the GNU version of 'make' installed. Otherwise
you will have to use the source directory for building.
After completion of the 'configure' and 'make' operation you do the ' make
install' . This will copy the programs and any support files to the
'installation directory'. In general, you should be 'root' to perform the
'make install'. In the case of LFS it seems to work ok as user 'lfs'. (??).
The location of the 'installation directory' is controlled by the configure
option --prefix. In our particular case this is --prefix="/tools".
For consistency reasons this directory should be created as a subdirectory of
the 'download directory'.

So here you have it.
Now you can continue with your good effort to flame me again. I might then be
able to write you some more good things :-)
John
John