Panic (both kernel and me!)

Andrei A. Voropaev av at simcon-mt.com
Mon Feb 14 01:31:49 PST 2005

On Sat, Feb 12, 2005 at 01:28:52AM +0100, Giulio Daprela wrote:
[...]
> I've erased all the devices into the /dev directory and I have recreated
> all with udevstart.

[...]

This shows that you don't understand how udev is working. Read the
appropriate section from lfs-6.0 one more time. Also you should not use
devfs, neither in kernel, nor on command line for kernel.

Important.  udev creates all devices anew at the kernel startup. First
it mounts ramfs on /dev (thus hiding any devices you created before) and
then it creates new devices based on the functionality available in the
kernel.  If this process fails for any reason, then you end up without
devices and nothing can be mounted.