Installation of Binutils

TheOldFellow TheOldFellow at gmail.com
Sun Feb 13 02:44:12 PST 2005

John Wildberger wrote:
> On Saturday 12 February 2005 10:21 am, TheOldFellow wrote:
>

>>John,
>>This question reveals quite a bit about you.  The LFS book is written
>>for someone who has, at the very least, built some packages from source
>>before.
>
> Instead of giving me a lecture about my lack of knowledge it would be better
> to give me information about some terms used in the book.
> The book instructs me to create a directory $LFS/source.
> Q: what goes into this?
> The downloaded source files (foo.tar.bz2) could be downloaded into any
> directory, but what is the suggested directory? Is it $LFS, is it $LFS/source
> or  any other directory?
> Q: What do you call the directory that was created by the unpacking (tar)
> operation? In the case of the Binutils package this directory is named
> 'binutils-2.15.91.0.2. '
> Is it conceivable that you would call this the 'source directory' ? In any
> case, the book says to cd into this dir.
> I assume that I  execute from within this directory  the two commands
> mkdir ../binutils-build
> cd  ../binutils-build
> followed by  ../binutils-2....etc
> John

Whoops!

Sorry John, I didn't mean to tread on your toes.  It looked to me like
you were one of those cretins who think they can just cut and paste from
the LFS book and get something like Red Hat Enterpise Edition without
taking the care to read any of the notes.  And then ask stupid questions
without checking the FAQ or searching the Archives.  At least you didn't
top post or send an HTML email with attached word virus!

I stand corrected.

I think you already got answers, so I wont repeat them.

Hope it all works out.
R.