Installation of Binutils

Joern Abatz for-spam-only at abatz.de
Sun Feb 13 00:29:06 PST 2005

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 21:57:08 -0500, John Wildberger wrote:

> and I am disappointed

I'd like to say a word about negative feelings here. Any time I try to do
something complex for the very first time, I get to a point where I must
realize: I'm too dumb for this. Sometimes I get angry at those people who
wrote manuals I don't understand. Sometimes I just feel embarrassed by
knowing so little.

Well, I learned something about strong feelings: They make the brain
learn. Solving problems and accumulating knowledge is hard work for those
little brain cells of mine. They have to restructure their connections to
each other. They have to give up good old friends and connect to others
they don't even like. Those hard feelings are just the kick in the ass
they need to start moving.

I'm doing a lot of stuff that's all new to me, and I've been going through
this for many years now. And I can say: It's always hard, every single
time, and I'll never get used to it. Let's call it the dark part of the
whole learning thingy.

Sure there's always an easy way to get it done. Regarding Linux it's those
'distributions' they sell. Going the easy way is tempting. You get to the
fun part almost for free. But it makes you pay afterwards. Every time you
run into a tiny little problem, you're gonna get it. And there are lots of
little problems in every distribution. Distributions suck. All of them.

So: Feeling angry, disappointed and embarrassed is a good thing. I don't
even try to avoid it anymore. Doing things the hard way makes you pay in
advance, but as long as you don't give up, you'll be rewarded, for a long
time. Trust me, I know what I'm talking about.

Joern