Installation of Binutils

Phoe6 orsenthil at gmail.com
Sat Feb 12 12:21:29 PST 2005

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 15:08:30 -0500, John Wildberger
<wildberger at cogeco.ca> wrote:
> On Saturday 12 February 2005 10:21 am, TheOldFellow wrote:
>
> > John,
> > This question reveals quite a bit about you.  The LFS book is written
> > for someone who has, at the very least, built some packages from source
> > before.
> Instead of giving me a lecture about my lack of knowledge it would be better
> to give me information about some terms used in the book.

The previous posters reply was not kind of a lecture but I read it as
some guidance to you.

> The book instructs me to create a directory $LFS/source.
> Q: what goes into this?

I have read only twice, I remember the book mentions that all the
downloaded packages and patches will be stored in the above directory.

> The downloaded source files (foo.tar.bz2) could be downloaded into any
> directory, but what is the suggested directory? Is it $LFS, is it $LFS/source
> or  any other directory?

$LFS/sources

> Q: What do you call the directory that was created by the unpacking (tar)
> operation? In the case of the Binutils package this directory is named
> 'binutils-2.15.91.0.2. '
> Is it conceivable that you would call this the 'source directory' ? In any
> case, the book says to cd into this dir.
> I assume that I  execute from within this directory  the two commands
> mkdir ../binutils-build
> cd  ../binutils-build
> followed by  ../binutils-2....etc

You untar the tarred file. go into the directory;create a parent build
directory so that package can be built from that. Intermediate files
during the compilation created will not interfere with the original
package download source.

Hope this is clear.
Get used to it and you will know yourself about these things.

Senthil