Installation of Binutils

John Wildberger wildberger at cogeco.ca
Sat Feb 12 12:08:30 PST 2005

On Saturday 12 February 2005 10:21 am, TheOldFellow wrote:

> John,
> This question reveals quite a bit about you.  The LFS book is written
> for someone who has, at the very least, built some packages from source
> before.
Instead of giving me a lecture about my lack of knowledge it would be better
to give me information about some terms used in the book.
The book instructs me to create a directory $LFS/source.
Q: what goes into this?
The downloaded source files (foo.tar.bz2) could be downloaded into any
directory, but what is the suggested directory? Is it $LFS, is it $LFS/source
or  any other directory?
Q: What do you call the directory that was created by the unpacking (tar)
operation? In the case of the Binutils package this directory is named
'binutils-2.15.91.0.2. '
Is it conceivable that you would call this the 'source directory' ? In any
case, the book says to cd into this dir.
I assume that I  execute from within this directory  the two commands
mkdir ../binutils-build
cd  ../binutils-build
followed by  ../binutils-2....etc
John