Kernel panic problem and unable to chroot

senthil at puggy.symonds.net senthil at puggy.symonds.net
Sat Feb 12 06:57:48 PST 2005

Mason Oliver Dickson masonoliverdickson at hotmail.com  wrote:
<senthil at puggy.symonds.net> wrote in message
news:37732.143.166.226.19.1108215554.squirrel at puggy.symonds.net...
> Hi List,
>           Thanks for responding to the /boot/grub/menu.lst issue. I
> resolved and got past it, and now when I was booting my LFS, I
> got the following messages:
>
> Freeing unused Kernel Memory: 184K Freed
> Warning: Unable to open an Intial Console
> Kernel Panic: No Init found. Try Passing init= option to the kernel
>
> -- I searched the archives for this problem and found Gerard's reply to
> same to check /mnt/lfs/dev/console.
> Yeah, I had to create a console file and I wanted to create that.
> So, I tried to chroot to create it:
> using section: 6.61
>
> chroot "$LFS" /usr/bin/env -i HOME=/root TERM="$TERM" PS1='\u:\w\$ '
>    PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin  /bin/bash --login
>
> But this gave me Error:
>
> chroot: Cannot Run Command '/usr/bin/env' : No such file or directory.

This error occurs if you do not mount your LFS partition before chroot.
And note that you always need to mount your virtual filesystems (chapter
6.2) before entering chroot.

--Reply here---
I apologize for breaking the thread. I was subsribed using digest mode,
which I have changed now.

Mason, your suggestion (chapter 6.2 - mounting virtual file systems) did
not work.

I am unable to chroot to LFS.
Note: I had completed my Installation and when I faced Problems with grub
configuration, I had to chroot and edit menu.lst - which was successful.

At the reboot,  Kernel Panic and Init Error had come. Now I am unable to
Chroot (which was successful, just the previous attempt) to LFS to check
and modify some files.

Senthil