Kernel panic problem and unable to chroot

senthil at puggy.symonds.net senthil at puggy.symonds.net
Sat Feb 12 05:39:14 PST 2005

Hi List,
           Thanks for responding to the /boot/grub/menu.lst issue. I
resolved and got past it, and now when I was booting my LFS, I
got the following messages:

Freeing unused Kernel Memory: 184K Freed
Warning: Unable to open an Intial Console
Kernel Panic: No Init found. Try Passing init= option to the kernel

-- I searched the archives for this problem and found Gerard's reply to
same to check /mnt/lfs/dev/console.
Yeah, I had to create a console file and I wanted to create that.
So, I tried to chroot to create it:
using section: 6.61

chroot "$LFS" /usr/bin/env -i HOME=/root TERM="$TERM" PS1='\u:\w\$ '
    PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin  /bin/bash --login

But this gave me Error:

chroot: Cannot Run Command '/usr/bin/env' : No such file or directory.

I found this in FAQ, but it could not help me. I had done this step with
the previous boot successfully where I changed menu.lst. Now this error is
preventing me to proceed further.

1)export LFS=/mnt/lfs
2) ln -s $LFS/tools /

were also tried. (I dont know if they were really neccessary)

My Questions are:
- How can chroot now so that I can create the console file?
- What further steps needed to resolve Kernel Panic: No Init Found: Try
passing init= option to Kernel

I am using LFS 6.0 online version.

Regards,
Senthil