After Complete Install; unable to boot. Informs to run e2fsck

senthil at puggy.symonds.net senthil at puggy.symonds.net
Fri Feb 11 16:59:33 PST 2005

Hi List,

  I successfully completed all the steps in the book and when the moment
of truth came, I faced the following problems.

1) Found that grub did not give me menu.1st, but instead provided me with
grub> shell.
2) I figured out that giving commands should boot me to my lfs,so I gave

root (hd0,3)
	Filesystem type is ext2fs,partition type 0x83
(I had installed my lfs at /dev/hda4)
kernel /boot/lfskernel-2.6.8.1 root=/dev/hda4
   [Linux-bzImage,setup=0xa00,size=0x1df301]
boot

This started the boot process.

But as I had used hostsystem FC3 Swap; the following occured:
swapon: cannot stat /dev/hda3: No suh file or Directory

fsck.ext2: No such file or directory while trying to open /dev/hda4

/dev/hda4:

The superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct file
system. If the device is valid and it really contain an ext2 filesystem (
and not swap or ufs or something else), then the superblock is corrupt and
you must try running e2fsck with an alternate superblock.
  e2fsck -b 8193 <device>

As the previous information at grub says, it is ext2 file system only.
I booted to the hostsystem (FC3) and executed e2fsck for removing any bad
blocks.
Tried all the steps and I land up at the same position where I was before.

Can anybody helpe me at this point? Kindly provide me directions to
resolve this issue.

Senthil

http://usr.blogspot.com