Installation of Binutils

S. Anthony Sequeira tony at sequeira.org.uk
Fri Feb 11 16:21:05 PST 2005

On Fri, 2005-02-11 at 18:52 -0500, John Wildberger wrote:
> My source files are downloaded into $LFS/sources. The book tells me to make a
> directory outside the source directory like this:
> mkdir ../binutils-build
> What directory am I supposed to be in to execute this command? In other words,
> what is the parent directory for this subdirectory?
> Once this directory is created, am I then supposed to move the tarball of
> Binutils into this directory and do the tar operation there, which would then
> create another subdirectory called binutils-2.15.91.0.2 ?
> Did I get this right, or did I misinterprete the instruction.
> Throughout the book the notation ../somefilename is used. For a novice it is
> difficult to keep track what the complete actual path for the file is.
> Some help will be appreciated.
> John
>
>From Chapter 5 the introduction

Before issuing the build instructions for a package, the package should
be unpacked as user lfs, and a cd into the created directory should be
performed. The build instructions assume that the bash shell is in use.

The book will reward careful attention.
--
Peace, n.:
In international affairs, a period of cheating between two