Installation of Binutils

Mason Oliver Dickson masonoliverdickson at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 11 16:16:08 PST 2005

"John Wildberger" <wildberger at cogeco.ca> wrote in message
news:200502111852.14198.wildberger at cogeco.ca...
> My source files are downloaded into $LFS/sources. The book tells me to
> make a
> directory outside the source directory like this:
> mkdir ../binutils-build
> What directory am I supposed to be in to execute this command? In other
> words,
> what is the parent directory for this subdirectory?
> Once this directory is created, am I then supposed to move the tarball of
> Binutils into this directory and do the tar operation there, which would
> then
> create another subdirectory called binutils-2.15.91.0.2 ?
> Did I get this right, or did I misinterprete the instruction.
> Throughout the book the notation ../somefilename is used. For a novice it
> is
> difficult to keep track what the complete actual path for the file is.
> Some help will be appreciated.
> John

At the beginning of each page saying "Installation of...", it is assumed
that you have downloaded and untarred the package into the /source
directory, and then done a cd into the root directory of the untarred
package (this is explained in section 5.1).  Thus

mkdir ../binutils-build

will create a new directory under /source.