Installation of Binutils

John Wildberger wildberger at cogeco.ca
Fri Feb 11 15:52:14 PST 2005

My source files are downloaded into $LFS/sources. The book tells me to make a
directory outside the source directory like this:
mkdir ../binutils-build
What directory am I supposed to be in to execute this command? In other words,
what is the parent directory for this subdirectory?
Once this directory is created, am I then supposed to move the tarball of
Binutils into this directory and do the tar operation there, which would then
create another subdirectory called binutils-2.15.91.0.2 ?
Did I get this right, or did I misinterprete the instruction.
Throughout the book the notation ../somefilename is used. For a novice it is
difficult to keep track what the complete actual path for the file is.
Some help will be appreciated.
John