Panic (both kernel and me!)

gdaprela at email.it gdaprela at email.it
Thu Feb 10 16:20:29 PST 2005

I hope this is a simple issue, but I can't find the solution.

After having finished building a LFS 6.0 from a Mandrake 10.0
I rebooted into my new system, and...this is the result:

VFS: cannot open root device "hdb3" or unknown-block (3,71)
please append a correct "root=" boot option
Kernel panic: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block (3,71)

I know this issue has been discussed in the faq section, and
so, after a look at this section, I've controlled in my kernel
configuration if Hard disk and Reiserfs (my filesystem) are
enabled and compiled not as modules. This is the result:

File system -> Reiserfs support OK
Device drivers-> Block devices ->  I don't find where to set hd

Device drivers-> ATA/ATAPI/MFM/RLL support->Enhanced IDE/MFM/RLL
disk/cdrom/tape/floppy support
Maybe this is the right option to enable the hard drive?

Device drivers-> ATA/ATAPI/MFM/RLL support->Include IDE/ATA2 disk support
Or is this one? I've checked both

I hope until here all is right. Looking to my fstab I have:

/dev/hdb3        /                reiserfs    defaults         1   1
proc             /proc            proc        defaults         0   0
sysfs            /sys             sysf        defaults         0   0

and this is the line in the file menu.lst from grub:

title lfs 6.0
kernel (hd1,2)/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.8.1-lfs root=/dev/hdb3 devfs=mount vga=792

Have I forgotten something?
Could someone help me please?

Thanks
Giulio

 Sponsor:
 Manuali.net pensa alla tua formazione con corsi per tutte le professioni e
dal costo contenuto.
Da Office alla Grafica, dal PC alla programmazione....Clicca qui
 Clicca qui: http://adv.email.it/cgi-bin/foclick.cgi?mid=2734&d=20050211