LFS for PowerPC

William kb0iic at charter.net
Thu Feb 10 14:48:20 PST 2005

My experience with LFS on my mac

I use a powermac 6500 with a 603ev processor. It is a nice old world mac.
I followed the book to a T except when it mentioned some stuff about PPC,
and my linker for the specs changes was ld.so.1. May be different
elsewhere, check that stuff. I used slackintosh to build on my old world
mac and it did great. Took a week, but was fun. It's been ticking away as
this: Linux cation 2.4.27-pre6 #3 Sun Aug 15 20:36:57 CDT 2004 ppc unknown
unknown GNU/Linux

16:45:05 up 177 days,  2:45,  2 users,  load average: 3.00, 3.00, 3.00

I used LFS 5.1.1 on it when I built it last summer. Built Xorg and some
cool stuff, even had the sucker playing audio. Pretty cool. Put festival
on there to make it talk to me. Anyways, copy the right headers and and
build the kernel for PPC with the right options (hehe, it was sometimes a
feat to get the right otions in the kernel for me) and you should be good
to go. I have not dealt with new world macs. I hope they are easier
to deal with. Open firmware and quik are fun to configure. Took me a few
hours to figure it all out. If you need any help, come around here or in
the IRC rooms and some PPC LFS'ers will be around, somewhere, out there........

William