LFS for PowerPC

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Thu Feb 10 10:29:45 PST 2005

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005, Mohammad Reza Heidari wrote:

> Hi,
> I have finished my first LFS, but now I woud like to recompile it for
> a Power PC processor, embedded in a FPGA.
> If anybody has ever attempted the LFS on PowerPC, I would
> be grateful to hear about the exprience.
> Thanks,
> MR

 If you are building it on the ppc, LFS needs very little different for
a different architecture.  The linker and specfile, and of course the
bootloader, and sometimes an alternative to fdisk (e.g. for macs).
I've done it in the past for mac (with pmac-utils, mac-fdisk, yaboot)
and AmigaOne (with u-boot).  In fact, your hardest problems might be
configuring the kernel and working out what package changes are
required.  The processor packaging is unlikely to make any difference,
but if it is an embedded system that is obviously a lot harder to play
with.

 But, you sound as if you're thinking of building on a different
architecture, such as x86.  If that's the case, check out Ryan's
cross-lfs scripts [ at www.linuxfromscratch.org/~ryan I think ].
Cross-compiling is not for the feint-hearted, and there are a lot of
issues to get your head around.  It's also worth searching for Dan
Kegel's cross-build stuff.

Ken