LFS 6.1 - Why?

Jeremy Utley jeremy at jutley.org
Wed Feb 9 22:27:11 PST 2005

Punkie wrote:

> Would it be possible to include a... slightly more detailed Change
> Log? For example: "Changed the build instructions for make 3.80" (make
> 3.80 appears in both LFS 6.0 and the development version of LFS 6.1
> from 2005-02-05). It would make more sense to me to find out if there
> has been a change to correct an issue which might eventually break my
> system in any way, read up on it and eventually apply to my LFS system
> instead of restarting my work or completely disregarding the 6.1 version.

This is why we use a version control system - SVN.  If you check
http://svn.linuxfromscratch.org, you can see all revisions of a file
going back like 2 1/2 years, along with the revision number - which you
can then use to see all changes in that particular revision.

> For your information, LFS is my "production" system (I use it on my
> personal computer) so I don't try to stay up to date with absolutely
> every new release (of LFS or individual packages).
>
> If there is a valid reason for the change log to be so spartan, please
> share it with me - and what I can do to view the changes that interest
> me.

Well, for one, you pay attention to the LFS-Dev and LFS-Hackers lists,
where many issues are discussed.  You also could subscribe to the
LFS-Book list, which gets an E-mail every time the LFS Book XML is changed.

-J-