framebuffer

Andrei A. Voropaev av at simcon-mt.com
Wed Feb 9 00:59:54 PST 2005

On Tue, Feb 08, 2005 at 07:26:00PM +0300, B. wrote:
> Hello, "Andrei A. Voropaev" <av at simcon-mt.com>!
>
> On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 09:41:05 +0100 you wrote:
>
> > > What I must to compile into kernel to get 1024x768x32(or 24) @ 85 Hz
> > > framebuffer on my nVidia GeForce 2 ?
> > >
> > > vga=ask on passed to kernel by grub doesn't shows any grafical
> > > modes, but my monitor shows that 640x480 mode set up.
> >
> > For 2.6.10 kernel make menuconfig: Device Drivers -> Graphics support
> > -> Check "Support for frame buffer devices", check "Vesa VGA graphics
> > support", probably "NVidia Riva support", ->  Console display driver
> > support, check "Video mode selection support", check "Frame buffer
> > console support".
>
> Hmm, I have disabled Riva support and support for my integrated adapter
> and... all works! (Kernel 2.6.8.1)
> But refrash rate is 60 Hz :(. My eyes are red 8/
> Can I set 85 Hz?

Read linux/Documentation/fb/vesafb.txt

There it is stated that you can't do it in normal situation. But maybe
your situation is not normal? :) Read it and find for yourself :)

> BTW, can I use acceleration on console with driver from nnidia.com?

I think not. This driver is for Xwindows, so it does not come into play
during boot.

> > configuration. Check everything there. The last step gives you the
> > logo on boot up. But it's somewhat buggy/strange. The logo does not go
> > away untill you switch virtual consoles one time :)
>
> On my lfs, logo goes away after loading cyryllic console font.
> So try to reload your console font.

No need. I usually go into Xwindows so the logo also disappears :)