Starter Problem with Binutils.

spamtrap2 at noemail.com spamtrap2 at noemail.com
Sun Feb 6 14:54:13 PST 2005

On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 22:07:45 +0100
thorsten <fly_a320 at gmx.de> wrote:

> As I suggested earlier, make a fresh start, following the book
> exactly.if you however want to try to continue, I would suggest this:
> become root
> mkdir /mnt/hdb7/sources
> rm -rf /mnt/hdb5/lfs-packages/binutils-2.14
> cp /mnt/hdb5/lfs-packages/* /mnt/hdb7/sources
> if you have the patches in a separate directory, also copy them to
> /mnt/hdb7/sources
> chown -R lfs:root /mnt/hdb7/sources
>
> then some checks before you continue:
>
> ls -l /tools
> the output should be like:
> lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 14 2005-01-31 07:11 /tools -> /mnt/hdb7/tools
>      if this link does not exist then do: ln -s /mnt/hdb7/tools /tools
>
> ls -l /mnt/hdb7
> should give you:
> drwxr-xr-x  1 lfs  root 4096 2005-01-31 08:57 tools
> drwxr-xr-x 30 lfs  root 4096 2005-01-31 08:58 sources
>      important here is the owner lfs and tools is present.
>      if not, do: mkdir /mnt/hdb7/tools && chown lfs /mnt/hdb7/tools
>
> echo $LFS
> should print:
> /mnt/hdb7
>      if not, do: export LFS=/mnt/hdb7
>
> your setup for user lfs seems to be good, so do
> su - lfs
> and again, just to make sure within the user lfs environment:
> echo $LFS
> should give you: /mnt/hdb7
>
> then continue with binutils 2.14-pass 1
> the not mentioned preparations are:
> cd /mnt/hdb7/sources
> tar -xjf binutils-2.14.tar.bz2
> cd binutils-2.14
>
> then continue with the grey boxes, letter by letter. don't change a bit.
> you do not need to sudo or become in any other way root at the moment,
> the reason is, you are going to build your programs within
> /mnt/hdb7/tools or sources in which user lfs has write permission.
>
> Good luck
>
> Thorsten Happel

Hi Thorsten:

I continued with the grey boxes as you mentioned letter for letter.
I ended up in ../binutils-2.14/binutils-build

a) Then the time command gave an error message with the config file
b) Then the next command went OK.
c) at the third step at this point: make LDFLAGS="-all-static"

It ran for sometime and then my PC froozee !!! I had to reboot and start again. Wonder what happened ?

Vijay