Building 6.0 with a 2.4 host

Joel Miller cheeziologist at mail.isc.rit.edu
Sun Feb 6 12:57:58 PST 2005

lanas wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
>   Wouldn't it be possible to build LFS 6.0 from a host running a 2.4
> series kernel by compiling all packages using a proper gcc (and
<snip>

Short answer, no. For a more detailed answer you'll have to wait for
some one more knowledgable than me to respond, but I can tell you that
at the very least nptl won't pass its test suite (will it even compile?)
because you dont have futexes. Be certain, I'm sure there's more
involved than just a test suite or the 6.0 book wouldn't say that you
need a kernel >= 2.6.2 on the host to follow the 6.0 book.

--
Registered LFS User 6929
Registered Linux User 298182