Installing grub to external USB hard drive for later use as internal hard drive

Charlie Law charlielaw at luxsci.net
Sat Feb 5 06:58:49 PST 2005

I've just finished building LFS on an external hard drive attached to
my laptop via a USB port.

My system recognizes the external drive as /dev/uba. I have put LFS on
the second partition of the drive, i.e., /dev/uba2 .

My question: I'm now ready to configure and install Grub, but I need to
know how to set it up. One problem is that, after I finish getting
everything ready, I'm going to pull out my currently installed internal
hard drive and replace it with the one that I've built LFS on.

So, what is now /dev/uba will become /dev/hda.

In other words, what is presently an external USB hard drive will later
become an internal hard drive.

I *don't* want to write grub to the MBA or any partition of my
currently installed internal hard drive, as I use Lilo on that drive.
Besides, that drive won't be installed when I try to boot into LFS.

Any ideas? I'm poised to finish this three-day task, but I don't want
to blow it now!

Thanks.