Compiling 2.6.10 kernel

Nathan Coulson conathan at gmail.com
Wed Feb 2 13:50:02 PST 2005

On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 19:50:19 +0000, Dienadel <no at use.this.es> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I made perfectly LFS stable.
>
> The LFS book is explained with the kernel 2.6.8.1. In the chapter 8.3 is
> said to make this command:
>
> sed -i 's@/sbin/hotplug@/bin/true@' kernel/kmod.c
>
> Now, i'm upgrading to 2.6.10 kernel.
>
> I'm asking me if that command must be executed in the 2.6.10 version of the
> kernel.
>
> As i see in LFS unstable, is not needed, but i'm in doubt it that sed
> command was necesary for the 2.6.8.1 version, or by "something" generated
> in the LFS stable, so, it must be executed in every version of the kernel.
>
> Hope i've explained good.
>
> Thanks
>
> dienadel

The sed was to fix a problem where the kernel could call hotplug,
which calls udev, which can create devices in /dev when you bootup
your system in readwrite mode.

Decices then could be created in /dev before a ramfs is mounted.

What the sed did, was prevent the kernel from calling hotplug until
such time as we are ready to handle hotplug events.  (Now if your
filesystem is readonly on boot, it cant create devices anyway)

--
Nathan Coulson (conathan)
------