LFS Based Distro Packaging?

Greg Taylor gtaylor at clemson.edu
Wed Sep 29 07:52:17 PDT 2004

Greetings,

I'm doing some research for my college's Linux Group on the best way to
build and distribute a simple distribution. We aim to create a distro that
is configured and set up to cater to the students here (certain applications
are needed, and our network tends to be funky).

Someone suggested LFS and I visited here to find something pretty neat.
However, I have a few questions:

#1) Given that I build from LFS, how do I then turn around and distribute
what I have done?

#2) Are there any good/easy to configure installers out there?

#3) How in the heck do you package up your distro so the installer can use
it?

#4) What are the chances of using the package repository of another distro?
(Gentoo's emerge, Debian's apt, RedHat's yumm, etc.)

I'm curious here. Even if we never take on this project, I personally find
it very interesting and am curious on the matter. Any ideas or comments?