Bash crashing during stripping

Eduard Omasta omasta at fri.utcru.sk
Sat Sep 25 08:56:57 PDT 2004

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004, Jeremy Huntwork wrote:

 > On Sat, 2004-09-25 at 01:42 +0200, Eduard Omasta wrote:
 > >     $ cat stripping
 > >       strip --strip-debug /tools/lib/*
 > >       strip --strip-unneeded /tools//{,s}/bin/*
 > >       rm -rf /mnt/lfs/tools//{doc,info,man}
 >
 > Eh, well, for one thing, what's with all the extra slashes?  The
 > second line is definitely wrong.  That will result in strip
 > checking these directories:
 >
 > /tools///bin/
 > /tools//s/bin/
 >
 > That line should read "strip --strip-unneeded /tools/{,s}bin/*" Which
 > will have the desired effect of strip looking here:
 >
 > /tools/bin/
 > /tools/sbin/
 >
 > Wouldn't have thought that would cause a segfault, though,
 > so don't know for sure if that's the problem.

    Yes, sorry, it was a typo. But the problem isn't here. In fact bash
crashes before second line of the script. And it also crashes when
I type 'strip --strip-debug /tools/lib/*' in command line.
   The strange thing is that I cannot enforce crashing by other
commands (I tried du, find and some other time consuming commands).
But it crashes only after typing above mentioned command. (To be more
precise: this command is finished fine and bash crashes in the
beginning of the following command - whichever the comand would be - ls,
exit, ...)