Kernel panic in LFS 6.0-testing-20040913

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Sep 23 15:02:23 PDT 2004

LuCKy wrote:

> What I don't understand is how will the kernel find the root device (/dev/hda1
> for example) before /dev is populated by S10udev. Only /dev/console
> and /dev/null exists before S10udev is completed ...

You are missing something very basic. The kernel does not need any
device nodes in /dev on the root filesystem to be able to mount the root
filesystem, because it wouldn't be able to see them anyway, it hasn't
mounted the root filesystem!

When you pass root=/dev/hda1 to the kernel, it turns that into
major/minor numbers directly using code in the kernel's init process.