Kernel panic in LFS 6.0-testing-20040913

Chris Grant chriskgrant at gmail.com
Thu Sep 23 11:11:49 PDT 2004

Hello,

I am building LFS, and everything has compiled and been set up fine,
but I get the following error when when my LFS kernel is loading:

VFS: Cannot open root device "hda1" or unknown-block(0,0)
Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)

I have compiled support for the filesystem I'm using (reiserfs) into
the kernel. Furthermore, Grub has no problems booting the base system
I used to build LFS (Debian, 2.6 kernel).

The LFS entry in Grub's menu.lst file looks like:

root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/lfskernel-2.6.8.1 root=/dev/hda1

...which is all correct.

I would greatly appreciate advice on this issue.

Thanks in advance,

--
Chris Grant