swap file

Dan Osterrath Dan.Osterrath at gmx.de
Mon Sep 20 08:57:34 PDT 2004

Am Montag, 20. September 2004 12:19 schrieb Matthias B.:
> > This sounds like a kinda cool thing to do. Is there any reason not to
> > do it? What is the rationale behind a seperate swap partition?
>
> It used to be faster but I recall reading something about swap files being
> as fast as swap partitions with newer kernels. But don't take my word for
> it.

Since kernel 2.5.<somewhen> swap files should be as fast swap partitions.
(Before that partitions were faster as the swap system had to go through the
fs sub system to access a swap file. Don't ask me how it is done now.)
The advantage of swap files is that you can resize, add and remove them very
easily.