Updated Was: LFS 5.0 sed and tar Now : bad interpreter

Mark Carey mark.carey at gmail.com
Sat Sep 18 13:21:28 PDT 2004

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 06:20:21 +0200, Thomas Hackert <thackert at nexgo.de> wrote:
Thomas, thanks for yoru suggestions.

> what does the first line of bootstrap.h say ? Something like
> "/bin/sh" ? If so: Do have this "/bin/sh"-link to "/bin/bash" ?

Yes it says #!/bin/sh, and I have checked that the symlink from
/bin/sh to /bin/bash existed.
I have also tried changing to /bin/bash and I get the same problem.

> Maybe just creating the /tools directory again and recompiling tar
> and sed from outside chroot could be enough ... ;)

This would fix sed and tar but, I would still have interpreter
problems?  Also I dont seem to have the knoppix disc I used to build
/tools so am trying to avoid this if at all possible.  As confgure
scripts currently dont seem to work I can yse the system I have to
rebuild /tools, unless I want to dig through the makefiles line by
line and type them in by hand..

As indicated in my second post, I have managed to build a "kludged"
sed by hand typing all the commands in bootstrap.sh, and this does not
appear to have made the :bad interpreter messages go away.  I am also
going to try and see if there is a verbose output mode for bash to
tell me more about the error.

Is there any way I can re-run the linker on these two binaries and
link them against /lib/ld-linux.so.2 rather than the
/tools/lib/ld-linux.so.2 they are currently linked against?  I know
the linker still works as it sucessfully linked my kludged sed against
/lib/ld-linux.so.2

Is it also a possibility that un tarring the sed and tar sources on a
windows platform onto  a fat32 (usb pendrive) filesystem and then
copying to ext2/3 has caused some loss of permissions? This may be
unlikely as the configure script is rwx root.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated and investigated, perhaps we need
to start a section on the book for recovery from strange errors?

Mark