Updated Was: LFS 5.0 sed and tar Now : bad interpreter

Mark Carey mark.carey at gmail.com
Fri Sep 17 17:47:17 PDT 2004

Hi,

Up until earlier this morning I had a working LFS system, I was in the
process of some BLFS stuff, installing Gnome 2.8 on top of x.org 6.8.1
except now some of my key utils only still sort of work, particularly
tar and sed refuse to function.

The machine can reboot just fine.

The problem is I in a fit of madness decided to delete the /tools
directory, thinking I was past the stage of needing it.  However
looking at my tar and sed binaries they are still liked against
/tools/lib/ld-linux.so.2, as far as I can tell these are the only two
binarys effected.

Right not a problem just rebuild sed and tar, ok, so have to un tar
the tar balls on another machine (winzip on WinXP) and transfer across
using usb, seems to work ok.

cd /usr/src/sed-4.0.8
./configure --prefix=/user --binexecdir=/bin
: bad interpreter: No such file or directory
ls /bin/bash
/bin/bash
ls -l /bin/sh
/bin/sh -> bash

So my interpreter exists, I can even run simple bash scripts, i.e echo
"Hello World" and that executes just fine. Why wont the configure
scripts run?

Sed also includs a script bootstrap.sh to build without the presence of a sed,
./bootstrap.sh
: bad interpreter: No such file or directory

/bin/bash appears to be linked with /lib/ld-linux.so.2 so not a problem there

Any suggestions as to how I should rebuild sed and tar, and anything
else I happen to find later I am missing?

Thanks,

Mark Carey