LFS 5.1 and kernel module support

Ivan ivan999 at remove34this.iprimus.com.au
Tue Sep 14 06:57:14 PDT 2004

Hi again,

I finally got everything sorted (nothing helps more than 'make install' !)
and I now have a bootable LFS system.

As is intended it is totally useless which I happen to think is absolutely
wonderful - I added a user by hand and played around in the all the
directories trying to run programmes and delete files and stuff and nothing
happened! Ain't it great when you have a secure system?

However, I want to progress and I think BLFS is the way to go. I compiled
ppp into my kernel as a module, installed the ppp, wvdial and lynx packages
as described in BLFS 5.1 but no ppp connection - I keep getting error 4
when I execute wvdial.

Now, I *know* that loadable modules were enabled, that ppp, bsd compression
and whatever that other possibly useful ppp module is were all selected as
modules.

I've obviously missed something and I'm not sure where to look or what to
ask for. Since I haven't actually got as far as the good stuff in BLFS I
imagine this is the right place to ask for help.

I checked the LDP documents but they are all concerned with kerneld
configuration while my LFS 5.1 kernel relies on kmod. The kmod documention
(..../Documentation/kmod.txt) doesn't describe at all how to set up my
system so that the kernel actually knows where to find and how to load
modules.

Ummmm ... help ? please ? somebody!

Thanks very much.

Ivan.