Cannot login to newly created LFS

Craig Sproule craigsproule at yahoo.com.au
Sat Sep 11 23:48:19 PDT 2004

Hi guys (and women)

I just created LFS (unstable SVN-20040910). I cannot
login at all. I do not get the usual, can't /bin/bash
problem. What I do get is

The login prompt

I type root

and then it says password.

I type in my password. Then it just sits there for
ages, and finally says password incorrect about 30
seconds later. The password is not incorrect.

I'm pretty sure it is a shadow problem, so I delete
/etc/shadow, /etc/gshadow, /etc/passwd, /etc/group,
/etc/login.defs. Everything that has to do with
passwords.

I then do

---------------------------------
cat > /etc/passwd << "EOF"
root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash
EOF
---------------------------------

and

--------------------------
cat > /etc/group << "EOF"
root:x:0:
bin:x:1:
sys:x:2:
kmem:x:3:
tty:x:4:
tape:x:5:
daemon:x:6:
floppy:x:7:
disk:x:8:
lp:x:9:
dialout:x:10:
audio:x:11:
video:x:12:
utmp:x:13:
usb:x:14:
EOF

The I reinstall shadow, exactly as it says, to the
letter (a number of times, I might add). I looked on
google find nothing except the "I can't login, no
/bin/bash stuff"

NOTE: I do pwconv and grpconv. I AM highlighting this,
because whenever someone has had a similar problem to
me, the answer is "Did you convert the passwords and
groups", so yeah, I have done that. Please don't
answer with this, wastes your time and mine.

I then go passwd root

I look in /etc/shadow, and everything seems to be
cool.

root:$1$Bz81hd/F$5S1dENSDLzVe60OqE0KYZ1:12673:0:99999:7:::

I look in /etc/gshadow

root:x::
bin:x::
sys:x::
kmem:x::
tty:x::
tape:x::
daemon:x::
floppy:x::
disk:x::
lp:x::
dialout:x::
audio:x::
video:x::
utmp:x::
usb:x::

/etc/passwd

root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash

/etc/group

root:x:0:
bin:x:1:
sys:x:2:
kmem:x:3:
tty:x:4:
tape:x:5:
daemon:x:6:
floppy:x:7:
disk:x:8:
lp:x:9:
dialout:x:10:
audio:x:11:
video:x:12:
utmp:x:13:
usb:x:14:

If anyone can give me a hand, that would be fantastic.
If postage weren't so expensive, I would send them a 6
pack of their favourite beer.

Have a great one
C.G. Sproule

http://au.movies.yahoo.com