Chapter 6, gcc 3.3.3, cc dummy.c fails

Ivan ivan999 at remove34this.iprimus.com.au
Sat Sep 11 16:46:23 PDT 2004

Thomas Hackert <thackert at nexgo.de> wrote in
news:200409110654.34867.thackert at nexgo.de:

Hi Thomas, thanks for the reply

> Hi Ivan,
> On Saturday 11 September 2004 02:44, Ivan wrote:
> <snip>
>> The real problem occurs after all of this when I test compile
>> dummy.c - gcc comlains about missing library files (I'm typing
>> this from windows because my host and LFS system doesn't do
>> internet yet so I can't reproduce the exact errors).
> could it be, that you have interrupted your build process in
> between ? If so, perhaps you have probably forgotten to mount your
> LFS partition ...

LFS was definitely mounted. I finished chapter 5 and closed down the
machine (even I have to sleep) then resumed in the morning by logging in as
user lfs, su to root, mounting devpts and proc and so on ...

>> At this stage the ld-linux.so.# file should be in the /lib
>> directory but it isn't - /lib is completely empty! I have double
>> checked the sed command and I examined the specs file directly
>> and the commands seem to be correct (ie. there is only one
>> reference to /tools/lib and that reference has been correctly
>> changed to /lib.
> For this statement I am assuming, that you have interrupted your
> build different times, one time without remounting your LFS
> partition, the other time with mounting it ... Maybe I am wrong
> here, but I seem to remember, that it was some times in the archive
> mentioned ... ;)

I'm not sure about the archive contents but chapter 5 was completed without
interruption, machine shutdown and then chapter 6 completed to the point of
the error without interruption.

<snip>

Thanks again ... I think I'll just start from scratch (no pun intended)

Ivan.