bash_profile

Matthias B. msbREMOVE-THIS at winterdrache.de
Sat Sep 11 08:05:23 PDT 2004

On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 07:55:20 -0600 (MDT) Scott Swanson
<harview at montana.com> wrote:

> What happens is that when I login as lfs (the user for whom the
> .bash_profile exists), I receive no prompt. Typing characters on the
> keyboard results in their being displayed on the terminal, but nothing
> else. Doing ps ax in another virtual terminal shows that /bin/bash is
> running on the login terminal.

When you use `ps' several times, is the PID for /bin/bash always the same?
What I'm trying to find out is if maybe your bash sources .bash_profile,
which execs a new bash that sources .bash_profile, which starts a new bash
that sources .bash_profile,... ad infinitum.
If this is the case, then you have to find out what causes the second bash
to source .bash_profile (which it shouldn't do as it's not a login shell).
A possible source of trouble is ~/.bashrc. Do you have that set up
properly for the lfs user?

MSB

--
Vacuum cleaners suck!