bash_profile

Scott Swanson harview at montana.com
Sat Sep 11 06:55:20 PDT 2004

On Sat, 11 Sep 2004, Matthias B. wrote:

> On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 09:52:22 -0600 (MDT) Scott Swanson
> <DrMemory at starband.net> wrote:
>
> > does not work on this host (Mandrake 7.1 - bash 2.04.3)
>
> Please be more specific. "does not work" gives us very little to go on.
> Please tell us exactly what you're doing, what you're seeing as a result
> and what you'd expect to happen instead.

Sorry.

What I am doing is following the directions in the book to set
up a clean environment by creating a .bash_profile with the line:

  exec env -i HOME=$HOME TERM=$TERM PS1='\u:\w\$ ' /bin/bash

What happens is that when I login as lfs (the user for whom the
.bash_profile exists), I receive no prompt. Typing characters on the
keyboard results in their being displayed on the terminal, but nothing
else. Doing ps ax in another virtual terminal shows that /bin/bash is
running on the login terminal.

What I would expect to happen instead is that I would login as normal,
receive a prompt, and be able to interact with bash. And this is exactly
what does happen on a different host (Mandrake 9.1 - bash 2.05.0).

Thanks.