Chapter 6, gcc 3.3.3, cc dummy.c fails

Thomas Hackert thackert at nexgo.de
Fri Sep 10 21:54:34 PDT 2004

Hi Ivan,
On Saturday 11 September 2004 02:44, Ivan wrote:
<snip>
> The real problem occurs after all of this when I test compile
> dummy.c - gcc comlains about missing library files (I'm typing
> this from windows because my host and LFS system doesn't do
> internet yet so I can't reproduce the exact errors).
could it be, that you have interrupted your build process in
between ? If so, perhaps you have probably forgotten to mount your
LFS partition ...

> At this stage the ld-linux.so.# file should be in the /lib
> directory but it isn't - /lib is completely empty! I have double
> checked the sed command and I examined the specs file directly
> and the commands seem to be correct (ie. there is only one
> reference to /tools/lib and that reference has been correctly
> changed to /lib.
For this statement I am assuming, that you have interrupted your
build different times, one time without remounting your LFS
partition, the other time with mounting it ... Maybe I am wrong
here, but I seem to remember, that it was some times in the archive
mentioned ... ;)

> Is there an easy way around this ?
Difficult to say ... Depends on different things like if you have
forgotten to remount your part. or not.

> If I have to start again, at what point should I pick up ? My
> thoughts are that I can delete all of the directories etc that
> were created at the beginning of chapter 6 and just pretend that
> chapter 6 never happened ... except that I have, of course,
> deleted the chapter 5 binutils pass 2 directories. Should I
> rebuild binutils from chapter 5 as well?
See above ...
I think you should find out if you have just forgotten to remount
and, if so, which packages were installed at this point ...

> Thanks for the help.
HTH
Thomas.