Compiler optimization flags in building LFS-5.1.1

Matthias B. msbREMOVE-THIS at winterdrache.de
Thu Sep 9 15:59:16 PDT 2004

On Wed,  8 Sep 2004 14:11:12 -0700 "LEE,CHRISTIAN WELDON"
<clee1750 at ucla.edu> wrote:

> Doh... I'd hate to not be able to do any optimization on glibc,
> considering every program I install or write is pretty likely to link to
> it. That's the only one I REALLY had my heart set on optimizing.

There is NO package in base LFS that is worth optimizing, NOT A SINGLE
ONE. Even glibc is not worth optimizing. No application whose speed you'll
ever be worried about will get faster that way.
Extra optimization on base LFS packages is a waste of time and only
creates instability. And besides, -O3 is known to PESSIMIZE code in a lot
of situations. It's foolish to use -O3 blindly. The whole idea of using
extra optimization switches without real world evaluation of the benefits
is foolish.

MSB

--
Form follows function.