keyboard mapping

Matthias B. msbREMOVE-THIS at winterdrache.de
Thu Sep 9 15:23:21 PDT 2004

On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 08:00:17 -0600 Peter Hinkle <drumvudu at earthlink.net>
wrote:

> MSB, It is possible that i am misunderstanding what you meant. I believe
> that my keymap is loaded by module, not actually "into" the kernel. Is
> that what you mean?

I mean exactly what the LFS book means when it talks about "compiling the
keymap into the kernel".
Since you don't seem to understand what I'm talking about I assume that
you've skipped the relevant section of the book completely and didn't even
read it. Please read

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/stable/chapter06/kbd.html

*completely*, even though it says that people with standard US keyboards
can skip the part about keymaps.

Now about your problem. Have you removed the loadkeys symlink

/etc/rc.d/rcsysinit.d/S70loadkeys

? If you haven't set up your default keymap as per the instructions from
section 6/kbd, you will need to do that or loadkeys will probably load
some crap from who-knows-where.

MSB

--
He who SHOUTS is always wrong.