Using ReiserFS File System

JazerNorth jazernorth at gmail.com
Thu Sep 9 11:17:45 PDT 2004

Julius wrote:

> On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 00:02:38 -0400
> Jeremy Huntwork <jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
>

>>On Wed, 2004-09-08 at 20:38 +0200, Julius wrote:
>>
>>>I see, i used xfs for some time now and there were often boots that only displayed: "...cant repair, please repair manually..."
>>>no sshd, no repair....does reiserfs need to be repaired manually often/at all?
>>
>>I'm sure there are some instances when reiserfs would require it, but I
>>have yet to encounter that with any of my systems. :)
>>
>>--
>>Jeremy Huntwork
>>http://www.jenacon.net
>

> wouldnt it be usefull to have default settings, for example i dont know much about filesystems....what i need is something like: "boot, and dont lost data or just files that cant be rescued after a crash"
>
> Regards
> Julius
I use ReiserFS on my system and haven't had a problem.  In fact, my hard
drive failed before I had to do any drive repairs manually.  ReiserFS is
a journaling system, so it knows what was changed at system crash.  Ext2
does not, but Ext3 is a journaling system so it does.  Technically there
is a difference between Ext3 and ResiserFS, but non-technically, you
will not notice anything different for drive recoveries.  Kernel does
not compile ReiserFS or Ext3 as a default, therefore you have to make
sure it (or they) is (are) compiled in the kernel and not as a module.

I have both Ext2 and ReiserFS on another system, and when it goes off
(usually power failure), Ext2 has to be checked manually, but ReiserFS
starts up without a hitch.  No Ext3 on that system.

Enjoy.

JN