glibc make check: malloc/mtrace: no such file or directory

Arno Schuring aelschuring at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 3 09:34:20 PDT 2004

Hello list!

Not really a cry for help, just sharing information.

When doing the final glibc make check, I got the "malloc/mtrace: no such file or directory" error. Asking google got me some references to this mailing list, so I decided to share my experiences with you.

I've found some references to perl being linked against the system libraries, and I believe I have found why. This occurs when you ignore the cc->gcc symlink in the tools/bin directory. Both perl and util-linux use cc instead of gcc, so they will be compiled by the host's compiler. None of the messages I read really indicated a cause.

A very dirty workaround is to create a symlink /lib/ld-linux.so.2 -> /tools/lib/ld-linux.so.2, which might work if your (host) system's libraries are not much older than the libc in /tools. The symlink will be overwritten when you install glibc.

FWIW, thank you for lfs! I'm using it a lot, both to setup my development machines and to setup some linux servers. I've even setup a sparc32 nfsroot on an i586 box, using lfs and crosstool, from which I really learned a lot ;)

Arno Schuring

  np: The Police - Regatta The Blanc