Kernel Compile Error

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Fri Sep 3 05:28:31 PDT 2004

On Fri, 3 Sep 2004, jazernorth wrote:

> I am getting the following error when I am executing "make
> CC=/opt/gcc-2.95.3/bin/gcc modules_install".  I have followed the
> LFS-5.1.1 book exactly.  My config file does not have PCMCIA, and I do
> not have any PCMCIA cards to use on my system.
>
> -----> Error Message <-----
> cd /lib/modules/2.4.26; \
> mkdir -p pcmcia; \
> find kernel -path '*/pcmcia/*' -name '*.o' | xargs -i -r ln -sf ../{} pcmcia
> if [ -r System.map ]; then /sbin/depmod -ae -F System.map  2.4.26; fi
> depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.26/kernel/fs/binfmt_elf.o
> depmod:         put_files_struct
> depmod:         steal_locks

[snip]
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks.
>
> JN

1. Almost certainly, this is nothing to do with pcmcia, that was the
command _before_ depmod.

2. The kernel build system, particularly in 2.4, is not watertight and
will allow you to select stuff as modules which depends on other things
you either haven't build, or which perhaps need to be built as modules
to export certain symbols.

3. Having said that, why do you think you can get away with binfmt_elf
as a module ?  Quoting Documentation/Configure.help

 The module will be called binfmt_elf.o.  Saying M or N here is
 dangerous because some crucial programs on your system might be in ELF
 format.

For all common platforms, s/might/will/

Alter your .config so that this, and anything else you need when
booting, is compiled into the kernel, save the config, make mrproper,
copy saved config back to .config, make oldconfig and repeat.

Ken