LFS 6.0-test-20041010 Boot problem

Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Nov 25 12:21:59 PST 2004

Julien Langlois wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I built LFS 6.0 (20041010) in Microsoft VirtualPC and once it gets past GRUB
>(the kernel decompresses), the system restarts. Not the VM, mind you, the
>host Windows system. It seems pretty consistent, though I've tried only
>twice and am not moved to try again. Does anyone know what could be causing
>this? Is it possible that it's because I selected K7 for the processor in
>the kernel but have an Athlon XP (Barton)?
>
>Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Regards,
>Julien Langlois

I've never used any VM ware, however I have seen a similar thing happen
when I was first learning to create bootable cds. In my case, I had
selected a 686 processor in the kernel's config, but tried to run it on
a 586-compatible pc.  Grub would load, the kernel would decompress, and
then promptly reboot the pc.  So, it seems, as you said, that you have
the wrong processor selected in the kernel.  I'd suggest setting it to
686-compatible processor, and try it again.

HTH,

--
Jeremy Huntwork